Where Patients are our neighbors and friends
To be the leader in supporting Opticians, Optometrists and Ophthalmologists so they can provide superior vision care and optical services in your local community as your local Eye Doctor of choice.
To provide superior health outcomes by facilitating long term and an unrushed Doctor/Patient relationship with coordinated vision care and high value optical services to our neighbors and friends in the communities we live in and serve.
Our Core Values
- Compassionate, Comprehensive and Coordinated vision care (the 3C’s)
- Servant mentality
- Professional but Relaxed
- Relationship centric
- Committed to Consistency
- Connected to our Community
As Doctors focused on serving our community we feel shared values starts with sharing of values and taking the time needed to build an effective connection between the Doctors and Patients as individuals. Shared values is the foundation not only for a healthy community but also for a long term Doctor/Patient relationships which best supports the coordination of care over time that lead to better healthcare outcomes.
Our leadership team consists of Dr. Mari Ward and Mr. Michael Dee Hester as co-Presidents of Northwest Optometric Associates and our clinics – ABC Vision.
Dr. Ward serves as the Chief Optometric Officer for ABC Vision and its parent company Northwest Optometric Associates. Dr. Ward graduated from Pacific University College of Optometry in 1993 and completed her residency with the Veterans Administration Hospital in 1994. She has been in practice since 1994 and in 1997 became an adjunct clinical faculty member of Pacific University College of Optometry. Dr. Ward specializes in primary care and ocular disease, and has a long history of pre and post laser vision and cataract surgery care. She is passionate about building long term Doctor Patient relationships and its benefit to better healthcare outcome.
Mr. Hester is a graduate of both Fresno State University and Long State University. Mr. Hester oversees the day-to-day management of every ABC Vision office. Before partnering with Dr. Ward to start Northwest Optometric Associates, Michael spend 25 years in Technology Leadership between HP, Micro Focus and Microsoft. He has extensive technology and business development experience leading engineering, marketing and sales organizations including for healthcare clients such as California Medicaid, Virginia Medicaid, Caremark/RX and Blue Cross Blue Shield. He is dedicated to lean and agile business processes and creating repeatable business models that put customer satisfaction at the center.
Better Vision from the start
In 2000 after Mr. Hester received once again another rushed exam with an incorrect vision RX from a multinational retail chain he felt an opportunity existed for a better eye health experience. One that didn’t rush the examination and put value on the Doctor Patient relationship first and foremost. In 2003 he met Dr. Ward and they shared a common vision. Together Dr. Ward and Mr. Hester started Northwest Optometric Associates in 2005, seeing that an opportunity for a better eye health solution was needed that put the Doctor Patient relationship at the center. To help accomplish this they needed to put the Doctor back in the neighbors near their patients but supported by centralized practice services that freed the Doctors so they have the time to be solely dedicated to patient care as well as the growing need for optical medical services.
- Vision Source: Vision Source is a network of private practice optometrists founded in 1991 by optometrist who believe in preserving independent optometry. This led to independent optometrists uniting together and growing as one buying entity to compete on a level playing field versus multinational retail chains.
- Essilor: Founded in 1849 in France, Essilor produces ophthalmic lenses along with ophthalmic optical equipment. Essilor is responsible for creating Varilux, the world’s first progressive lens which corrects presbyopia and allows clear vision in the wearer’s near, intermediate and far vision.
- VSP Global: VSP was formed by a group of optometrists in Oakland, CA in 1955. Today VSP Global is a group of progressive businesses including Vision Service Plan the nation’s largest vision insurance plan, Marchon Eyewear, Inc. a manufacturer and distributor of fashion eyewear, VSPOne Laboratories and UNITY which produces ophthalmic lenses and Eyefinity®/OfficeMate® which provides Optometric Practice Software.
Northwest Optometric Associates
Northwest Optometric Associates (NWOA) is the foundation behind ABC Vision. NWOA brings the power of regional business process outsourcing to optometric practices. In short, it manages the optometric practice focusing on proven and standardized business process and operational efficiencies so the Doctors can focus on patient care. NWOA provides the following services:
- Buying group selection and management
- Partner and vendor management
- Payroll, accounts payable and accounting services
- Managed care credentialing
- Claims processing
- Product merchandizing and inventory management
- Equipment financing and leasing
- Staffing, training and HR services
- Computer and technology infrastructure services plus modernization
- Automated recall and patient engagement management
- Demand generation and marketing
- Practice succession planning, acquisition and transition
- Office design and remodeling
NWOA strongly believes that better healthcare outcomes are achieved when Doctor Patient relationship are at the center and when the Doctors are in the neighborhood and part of the community they serve. To do this NWOA provides optometrists with the foundation of practice management services so they can begin building practice ownership faster and long term patient relationships sooner. NWOA also provides a secure exit strategy for optometrist practice owners with an expert team to oversee all day-to-day business operations allowing optometrists the freedom and confidence to focus entirely on patient care.
NWOA can help you sell your practice, buy into a practice, achieve higher goals through improved practice management, give you more time to focus on your patients, your family and your life by eliminating the hassles of running a practice alone and giving you a team that will work together with you toward a common vision that will attain uncommon and exceptional results for the patient and the Doctor.
If you are a prospective Patient, book your unhurried and thorough appointment with one of our exceptional Doctors today.
If you are a Northwest Eye Doctor and want to learn more about how NWOA can help your practice please contact me – email@example.com. Thank you.